Saturday 20 August 2011

Omani foods

Have you ever noticed, that when you buy Omani tomatoes (ones that have not been totally destroyed by the supermarket shelf stacking boys), they taste really, really good? Same with the cucumbers.

Well I have, and as a result I always try and buy local vegetables as much as possible. So when I was in the supermarket this weekend, I was pretty pleased to see an initiative to promote local products, especially during ramadan, when I suspect most people tend to eat more!

It is called Intajee and the initiative seems to cover vegetables, eggs & dairy products and also honey and dates and date-based stuff. Here's a couple of pictures:





It's nice to see more local produce initiatives like this. More domestic production of food means less imported goods, less dependance on other countries, more local jobs, more local revenues and less environmental impacts from not having to ship goods here! Anyway, I think it's a good thing, so next time you are in a supermarket, go check it out!

Oh, and does anyone know what Intajee actually means?

le fin.

No comments:

Post a Comment